5 Facts about the New York Stock Exchange
1. The NYSE is the oldest stock exchange in the United States. It was founded when brokers signed the “Buttonwood Agreement” on May 17, 1792.
2. In 1863, its name changed from New York Stock & Exchange Board (NYS&EB) to the New York Stock Exchange.
3. It has been closed to the public since 9/11.
4. Membership in the NYSE was $1.5 million in 1987, a record.
5. George B. Post designed what is now the NYSE building, which was completed in 1903. J.A. Ward sculpted the facade, which is titled “Integrity Protecting the Works of Man.”